Saturday, 16 February 2013

Playing with Pigments!

Sheena is back on our screens on Monday 18 Feb on Create and Craft starting with the Craft Clinic. As I mentioned yesterday I was lucky enough to get to play with 2 sets of the gorgeous primary elements and thought today I would share my "test piece".This plaque kinda emerged as I played with various ideas and experimented. I would love to say I had a plan but, alas I didn't! However I will try to explain how I got from this...


To this!

As you can see I started with an MDF plaque onto which I glued some cardboard butterflies (Sheena's Flying Colours stamps) some string swirls, and a cardboard flower ( Sheena's Always Floral stamps). The whole plaque was then covered in PVA and left to dry.

Next, I covered a small area with a generous layer  of Aleene's tacky glue (this bottle was the original bottle of glue I bought when I started crafting in 2009 - It has been loitering on the shelf ever since!) and then, whilst it was still wet , I held it over a candle flame to bubble and get VERY sooty. Until it looked like this when I had wiped of the soot.





I mixed  a browny, reddy, greeny mix of the the primary elements  using the bottle of glaze  that comes with the Primary elements  and used my fingers to smear over until I had an effect I was happy with. I over stamped the butterflies and flower using Wow powder and added some extra primary elements using a brush to the biggest butterfly. All was looking OK so I decided to glaze the bigger butterfly with Crystal lacquer... However I discover that the lacquer and glaze in the set are obviously similar and it moved some of the pigment I had carefully painted on earlier. Not to be put off when the lacquer was dry I added back the detail by using stazon to over-stamp the butterfly again!

By this stage I had an idea of butterflies breaking free from rusty confines so added the words If You Love Someone. These were printed on paper coloured with pigments and glaze and when dry added to the plaque. I wanted then to look part of the plaque so built up texture using embossing paste and  paint coloured again with the pigments.

The final part was adding a frame of black heavy body acrylic with a palette knife (again an old, unloved tube, that had long ago lost its lid and languished in the stash.) Whilst wet I  sprinkled some Pinflair Ice Diamond and left it to dry.

I discovered that the pigments mix well with Inka Gold (but strangely not with Rub and Buff) so I coloured a small amount with dark red pigment and some with the dark green pigment and applied with my fingers to the black acrylic paint border and finally, finally added a chain to hang it from.

And that my friend is the biography of my little butterfly plaque!!!

16 comments:

  1. Wow I love everything about this im going to attempt something like this today x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui looking forward to seeing the results! X

      Delete
  2. Wowzers, Fiona! This is absolutely spectacular and I'm truly awed at the depth you've created in this piece! I shall have to try something similar soon!
    Diane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fabulous Fiona, wonderful texture and dimension. Looks so tactile. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic - I wish I had the inspiration and the courage to keep trying new techniques. Being part of Sheena's design team must be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... stunning!! I can see you had great fun making this one Fiona. What a great idea to take photos at different stages too. I might just have to borrow that idea xx
    Hugs
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  6. ive had as play tonight with paints, dylusions, frantage and chipboard and mountboard i`ll post some pics tomorrow love Jacquie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing chemistry! I don't have many of the products you mention but have a good idea from your great blogging how to achieve this wonderful three dimensional effect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow wow wow! Thank you for the tutorial, it's amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness Fiona, this is amazing. How on earth do you think up these techniques. I would never think of heating glue like that. Bet you really enjoyed playing with this one.
    Hugs Lisax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those hours browsing you tube are sometimes useful Lisa..the glue idea was developed from something titled Aleenes burnt brown bag technique-there's a title not to be ignored! ;o) xx

      Delete
  10. Mucky fingers or what, got loads of old glue to try will have to revisit when I have got all my stuff together, thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - it is very much appreciated xx